Saturday, March 13, 2010

Homemade bath products and storage/life span of product?

For christmas this year, I'm making gift baskets with homemade bath products. The thing that i am concerned about is how long will these products last for? Some of them contain powdered milk and are all dried ingredients, while others have dried milk, essential oils and water added to them.





I planned on storing them in glass bottles and jars, will this keep the products fresh? My mom is one of the people who will be receiving a basket, and it usually takes her up to a year to use a jar of bath salts. I just don't want to give her something that will go bad quickly.





Thanks :)Homemade bath products and storage/life span of product?
Anything you add water to will have a short life span. With the ingredients you're talking about, they'd be good for maybe a month if you refrigerate them, but maybe not even that long.





The dried ingredients will last a long time.. I don't know exactly what you're using, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would go bad within a year, as long as they're kept away from direct light and heat in the jars you're using.





The essenial oils are fine, but my suggestion is to make everything dry (other than the e.o.'s) and leave it dry. For instance, if you were making a facial scrub, insead of adding water to it, leave it dry and give instructions to mix a little with water (in a separate container) each time they use it.





Have fun making them! Everyone is going to love them..

No comments:

Post a Comment